2013 is the 40th anniversary of National Nutrition Month and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is educating and encouraging people to “Eat Right, Your Way, and Every Day”. They are also sharing 13 health tips for this year as well:
• Don’t skip breakfast.
• Fill up on fruits and vegetables
• Be conscious of portion sizes
• Snack healthy.
• Read your labels
• Get help from an RD.
• Make a home-cooked meal.
• Eat out (occasionally) without ditching your nutrition goals
• Have family meal nights
• Mix it up at lunchtime
• H20 yourself.
Now, these are all great suggestions and guidelines to live by, however depending on your busy work and home schedule how can you make it work for you? Easy……Keep it Simple! You know this, if it takes time we hesitate to try anything new, but this can be done with little notice. I have found good choices are the easiest of changes.
Here are a few suggestions of my own I have found to be useful when I’m traveling.
• Coffee- exchange that full fat, high sugar latte for a regular coffee with fat free milk.
• Soda – Save it for the weekend, water always the best option.
• Fast Food – ask for No cheese or sauces, always ask for extra lettuce and veggies.
• Salads – Not my favorite, but always satisfying and not too filling. Get low or no fat dressing.
• Dinner- Always get a dinner salad, a protein and ask for vegetables instead of that baked potato or creamed side.
• Desert-Skip it. Save it for when you are home or weekend, but not on the road.
These are just a few suggestions. It’s not rocket science, but you will be surprised how many calories you will save in just one week! Add that up for every week of the year and you’ll be amazed. As a result you’ll feel better, have more energy and that’s what National Nutrition Month is all about!!
Give it a try and let me know how it works for you! And send in your healthy tips for travel, I would love to hear them.
Safe and Healthy Travels!